The PURG-E | No, not that Purge
Wouldn’t it be nice if we could have that purge already? It could really take care of all those problems! Okay, maybe that’s a bad idea…or is it? Can we be serious for 10 seconds? Yeah, probably not. For real, there is a PURG-E, and S.W.O.R.D Defense has just announced its release!
So, while you can’t go around purging the country, if you’re in government sales, you can take part in purchasing the PURG-E. Which, by the way, stands for Piston Upper Receiver Group-Enhanced.
“The M855A1 has a number of characteristics in its design that make it an effective tool for the warfighter, some of those characteristics such as the increase in chamber pressure and cartridge design make it a liability for existing DoD weapon systems.
-Jeremy Elrod, President
Jeremy already touched on it, but what is it that really makes this new upper stand out from the rest? Well, first off, the PURG-E was created by taking advice from real warfighters. You know, the people who are actually using M-4 carbines out in the field.
The PURG-E | Created for Warfighters
S.W.O.R.D. Defense tells us they not only created a device for warfighters, but they also listened to what they had to say. That’s something you don’t hear too often.
Basically, our troops said, this newly adopted M855A1 ammo is creating issues. Issues identified included fouling and gas blow-back, which we’re told this new upper reduces.
How did S.W.O.R.D Defense go about fixing issues warfighters were complaining about? Well, first they took their enhanced features seriously, hence the reason “Enhanced” is in the name, one would think.
Here are the enhanced features we’re told come with the PURG-E:
- A driving band ride surface and lubrication groove to minimize the flex seen with a standard ring style bolt configuration.
- A newly designed, incredibly durable ultra-lightweight bolt carrier that substantially reduces unlocking and recoil impulse.
- Enhanced materials used in carrier, bolt, and operating system to increase strength and reliability.
- Proprietary enhanced gas piston system to allow for use of traditional rounds and M855A1
“We designed our PURG-E upper to solve these accuracy, reliability, and durability issues. The PURG-E upper converts existing MIL-Spec lowers to the right system for the M855A1 cartridge. The PURG-E also allows for use of the readily available cartridges such as M855, Mk-262 MOD1, and COTS ammo.”
What else does S.W.O.R.D. Defense have to say about the PURG-E? Glad you asked! The PURG-E is a far more effective tool in the hands of warfighters — probably because you don’t have a rifle fouling in the middle of combat — while maintaining the tried and true proprietary, self-regulating, short-stroke gas piston system.
- Weight: 4.2 lbs
- Overall Length: 23.5”- 25.5”
- Height: 7 ¾″ Rear sight to bottom of pistol grip
- Barrel Length: 12.5”-16” Cold Hammer Forged
- Caliber: 5.56 x 45 NATO (M855A1)
- Mode of Fire: Safe, Semi-Automatic, Fully Automatic
- Feed Mechanism: Magazine 10/20/30/60 Round
- Operating system: Short stroke gas piston and pushrod system Rated action spring (Included) Hydraulic recoil damper (Included)
- Coatings: Bolt/Extractor Titanium Nitride, MPI tested Carrier Black Nitride
Click this link to learn more: The PURG-E
Carbines: Read More
Brock Trautman is the senior news anchor for The Mag Life, the official publication of GunMag Warehouse. He’s also a cartoon, so…don’t get butt-hurt about anything he says. He’s not making subjective judgments on things, or reviewing anything – he’s just passing along the news.