The Paratrooper from Battle Arms Development
Recently, Battle Arms Development announced it would show its Paratrooper at the 2018 SHOT Show. But, you may be asking yourself: “What is the Paratrooper?”
Four letters too long to be a hit record from Iron Maiden, the Paratrooper is a short barrel rifle (SBR) chambered for the 300 BLK cartridge. The company designed it in way to evoke memories of a World War II gun carried by airborne troops. In a way, it has a look similar to an updated M1 Carbine though the two weapon systems are very different.
At its core, this Battle Arms Development beauty is an AR style rifle that uses a direct impingement gas system and keeps all of the typical placements of AR controls. However, this is decidedly not the same AR as conceived by Eugene Stoner.
The rifle has a 7.5” chromoly steel barrel with a tapered profile and a 1:8” twist. It is equipped with a titanium gas block and a pistol length gas tube. The muzzle is threaded with an A2 compensator and 11? target crown.
Both the handguard and pistol grip are made of Grade A French walnut. The barrel is shrouded with a 6.7 RIGIDRAIL that is free-floating and provides M-LOK type attachment points.
Taking up the rear is a VERT Stock System. It has a cheek rest that is powder coated with a wood finish to match the real wood furniture. The receiver and stock have a Cerakote finish that is, according to the company, a blended Parkerized Green Steel and Cosmoline finish.
Additional features include:
- BCM Gunfighter ambidextrous charging handle
- Ambidextrous controls
- Nitride steel pins
- BAD Edition TT-15 adjustable trigger with frictionless roller sear
- Enhanced magazine release
- Custom hard case with high density foam
- Two 20-round USGI magazines
Since this is a short barrel rifle, the National Firearms Act does apply. That means you have to get a tax stamp from the BATFE prior to taking possession of this rifle. Frankly, as cool as this gun looks, I’d consider it $200 well spent.
From the manufacturer:
BATTLEARMS Paratrooper PDW – Short Barreled Rifle
The heart of the PARATROOPER is built on our famous BAD-PDW Monolithic PDW Lower Receiver & VERT Stock System with Ambidextrous Controls. It is chambered in .300BLK or 5.56 NATO with a 7.5in barrel shrouded in 6.7in RIGIDRAIL M-LOK free float rail system and has an overall length of 20.1in. It is built as a factory SBR (Short Barrel Rifle) so all NFA rules apply.
Paying homage to the old-school WWII era weapons, the PARATROOPER is furnished with custom Grade A French Walnut Handguard & Pistol Grip. To cap it off, it is paired with wood finished SS Cheek Rest (UV stabilized, simulated wood powder coat finish) for strength and durability. The complete rifle is finished with a custom blended Parkerized Green Steel & Cosmoline theme finish matching that of the M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, 1903A3, etc.
- BAD556-LW – Billet 7075-T6 CNC Machined Lightweight Upper Receiver
- BattleArms™ 7.5in 4150CM Black Nitride 1:8 Twist 5R rifling tapered profile barrel chambered in either 5.56 NATO or 300BLK
- BAD-LGB-Fe-750-BN – Black Nitride Steel Gas Block .750in Dia.
- ARGT-P-SS – Pistol Length Gas Tube – SS
- BAD-BCG-M16 – Enhanced Bolt Carrier Group – M16 – Black Nitride
- BattleArms™ RACK Ambidextrous Charging Handle
- BAD-RR6.7-MLOK – 6.7in RIGIDRAIL rail handguard – M-LOK
- BAD-PDW – Monolithic PDW Lower Receiver & VERT Stock System with ambidextrous controls
- BAD-CASS-SA-ST – Combat Ambidextrous Safety Selector – Semi-Auto – Reversible 0°-50° / 0°-90° – Standard and Short Levers
- BAD-EPS – Enhanced Pin Set – Nitride Steel
- BAD-EBC-IC – Enhanced Bolt Catch, Investment Cast 8620
- BAD-EMMR-L-B – Enhanced Modular Magazine Release with Large Finger Pad
- BAD-WOOD-KIT1 – Grade A French Walnut Handguard & Pistol Grip with Custom Mounting Hardware. Simulated Wood SS Cheek Rest.
- MAGPUL MBus Pro – MAG275 Front SIght and MAG527 LR Adjustable Rear Sight
- CUSTOM COATING – WWII Parkerized Green Steel and Cosmoline Themed Finish.
- USGI 20rd Aluminum Magazines x (2) – Custom Laser Engraved Logos
- SBR HARD CASE – Battle Arms Development SBR Hard Case with Custom High-Density Foam & Accessories
- TEST FIRE – Each Rifle is Individually Test Fired at Factory to Ensure Safety and Proper Function
Update 2019: check out this recent video from PPT.
Richard is a writer with a background in law enforcement and sports photography. In addition to his work in the firearms industry, he writes in the sci-fi and fantasy genres. More of his work can be found at GunsHolstersAndGear