Ethical hunting requires carefully-placed shots with the end goal of making a one-shot kill. In order to accomplish that, hunters need quality, precise rifles. Not only must those rifles be designed for the rigors of the hunt but they must be lightweight, reliable, and rugged. Bergara’s HMR (Hunt/Match Rifle) Carbon Wilderness does all that, and more, thanks to the company’s dedication to producing superior firearms. The proof is in the hunting results. This is a feature-packed rifle made to exacting specifications, and it’s well worth considering as the next addition to your gun collection.
Bergara states their HMR rifles have garnered global respect and recognition, and that the platform is perhaps their most popular. This rifle is specifically designed to deliver stunning precision and the ability to withstand whatever the elements throw at it, and it does it with style. It was made with an eye for accuracy and ergonomics, all at a lighter weight than many similar rifles. The Bergara HMR Carbon Wilderness is a bolt-action rifle that is part of the B-14 Wilderness Series and is offered in a variety of calibers, including 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 PRC, 308 Win, and 300 Win Mag.
The carbon barrel of the HMR Carbon Wilderness is a No. 6 carbon fiber with stainless steel, so it’s mechanically and thermodynamically strong. It’s offered in either 20 inches, 22 inches, or 24 inches, with length depending on caliber choice. The muzzle of the barrel is threaded 5/8-24 and has an Omni muzzle brake.
Bergara’s Wilderness Series rifles feature the gun maker’s glass-rod smooth B-14 Action with a Sniper Grey Cerakote finish for protection from the elements and general wear and tear. The action in question is a two-lug system with a sliding plate extractor and a coned bolt nose and breech for reliable feeding and extraction.
Features of the Bergara HMR Carbon Wilderness include:
- Ships with a 5-round AICS magazine (guns chambered in 6.5 PRC ship with a 3-round magazine).
- 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 PRC barrels have a 1-in-8 twist rate.
- 308 Winchester and 300 Win Mag barrels have a 1-in-10 twist rate.
- Overall length between 40 and 42 inches, depending on caliber.
- Empty weight is between 7.5 and 8.3 pounds, depending on the caliber.
- 5/8-24 threaded muzzle with Omni muzzle brake, although it’s being threaded means it’s possible to run with a suppressor.
- Bergara HMR molded stock with mini chassis.
- Sub-MOA guarantee, provided the shooter brings the skills.
- Stock finish designed to blend into outdoor terrain to reduce the risk of scaring off game.
- Sling and bipod attachment points.
- Drilled and tapped for easy addition of an aftermarket optic.
- Two-position safety that’s part of the trigger; gun can be unloaded while on safe.
- Adjustable cheek riser so it can be fit to the shooter.
MSRP for the Bergara HMR Carbon Wilderness starts at $1850.00.