Following the obvious evolution of CCW handguns, Smith & Wesson released the S&W M&P Shield Plus Optics Ready pistol in October 2021. It’s a 3.2 in. barreled EDC gun with the same trigger as its predecessors and some improvements to the grip and grip texture they advise were based on user feedback.
Smith & Wesson advises,
“Your new EDC is here. Allow us to introduce the new M&P9 Shield Plus Optics Ready. This new addition to the Shield Plus line comes standard with 3.1″ barrel, night sights, and optics cut.
With the 10+1 or 13+1 capacity, flat-face trigger, and enhanced grip texture, [the]…Optics Ready is engineered to give you the best performance in a micro-compact size.”
Specs and Features
The M&P Plus is, as of this writing at least, S&W’s highest capacity micro-compact pistol. It has night sights, slide cuts to fit the usual suspects of preferred RDS types, and some additional features, including:
- Slide cut for optics.
- Flat face trigger for more consistent trigger finger placement; this is intended to allow for more accurate and repeatable shooting.
- Enhanced grip texture to improve the user’s recoil management, keep a firm grip and deliver comfort when concealing.
- Extended magazine offers 13+1 round capacity. Other extension options are available.
- 13 round and 10 round magazines.
- Tactile and audible trigger reset.
- Extremely thin and lightweight – meant to be comfortably carried all day.
- M&P’s patented take-down lever and sear deactivation systems allow for disassembly without pulling the trigger.
- 18-degree grip angle for a more natural point of aim.
- Armornite durable corrosion-resistant finish.
- Backed by Smith & Wesson’s Lifetime Service Policy.
Shield Plus Optics Ready Capacity
(I did that so I’d have a sub-heading that could be abbreviated SPORC. )
ORSP+ Launch Video
Sure, the narrator is no Don LaFontaine, but really who is? He does a good job with the rundown and isn’t cringe-worthy melodramatic like some of the videos we’ve seen.
Flat Face Trigger
The Shield Plus features an 18° (18-degree) grip angle. S&W says this angle will lead to a more natural point of aim and improved ability to deal with recoil. Some argue about that and others will tell you that many shooters lack the fundamental skills to fully exploit the advantages of such a grip. Your mileage may vary, but there are more than a few Shield and Shield Plus owners who tout the grip as a favored feature.
New Textured Grip (For Your Pleasure)