Matador Arms has announced the Montgo-9: it’s a monolithic blowback-operated billet 9mm upper receiver that doesn’t require a buffer to cycle. Not an AR15 style buffer (and the corresponding buffer tube) anyway.
Think back to 1963 (the AR-18, not Avengers #1) and you’ll kinda get the idea.
Matador Arms Montgo-9 AR9/PCC Upper Receiver
Compatible with any AR-15* and/or AR-9 lower, the Montgo-9 gives shooters what Matador Arms calls “…endless build possibilities”, all while being compact and versatile.
You want some specifications? We got your specifications.
- Solid end receiver…does not require a buffer
- Hard anodized billet aluminum
- 5.5″ barrel, 4140 Nitrided
- ½x28″ threaded barrel
- Full-length integral Picatinny rail for installing optics or sights
- 3.5″ bottom Picatinny accessory rail
- Non-reciprocating charging handle…can be used on right or left side
- 4140 steel nitrided bolt & trunnion for durability
- No tools are required for field stripping
- OAL: 12.125”, Width: 1.47”, Weight: 3.5lbs
- Note: AR15 lowers will require a MagX adapter or something similar to accept 9mm pistol magazines.
The current version of the Montgo-9 is the “K” version, featuring a 5.5″ barrel threaded to 1/2×28″. The back cap shows that no buffer is required, allowing for many compact options. In addition, the non-reciprocating charging handle is reversible. The Montgo-9 has a total length integral Picatinny rail on top and a 3.5″ bottom accessory rail.
The Montgo-9 upper receiver is made of aluminum, and the bolt and trunnion are 4140 steel for durability. Weight is 3.5lbs with an OAL of 12.125″ and a 1.47″ width.
MSRP of the Montgo-9 is $549.99. Shipping of the Montgo-9 is projected for Q4 of this year.
Options from Matador for the Montgo-9
The Matador MagX Adapter
The Montgo-9 adds to Matador’s 9mm product offering. Matador recently announced their AR-9 80% billet lower receivers, the first run of which is shipping mid-September. Matador already manufactures the Mag-X, a mag block adapter enabling the use of P320, Glock, M&P, and CZ-75 pistol mags in their AR-15 lowers.
Here is some of the info from Matador’s website about the Mag-X:
The Mag-X is available for G17/G19, P320, CZ 75, M&P, and CZ P-09 & P-10 mags. In addition, the Mag-X allows you to use your pistol magazines in any AR-15 mil-spec lower.
The Mag-X fits any standard AR-15 lower receiver; no modifications are required to your lower or magazine; it installs in seconds, and there is a built-in magazine release. It also locks into place with the standard AR-15 catch. The Mag-X also features a steel ejector and magazine catch.
However, it is only compatible with mil-spec AR-15 lower receivers, combined with a 9mm upper with a Glock-cut bolt. It also has no last-round bolt hold open.
The Matador Sidewinder
Matador’s Sidewinder is a folding buffer tube adapter that will fold up anything with AR buffer tubes threads WITHOUT a moving buffer inside. And, the adjustable Regulator muzzle brake comes in 9mm, which could top off the Montgo-9 perfectly.
According to Matador Arms’ website, “This AR buffer tube folder allows you to go compact ultra-solid lockup. It’s [the Sidewinder] lightweight, strong and reversible so that you can fold in either direction and know it’ll stay put.”
Here is the sidewinder buffer tube folder in action with the Montgo-9.
The Matador Regulator Muzzle Device
You might have noticed the Montgo-9 is shown in some of the pictures with and without a muzzle device. The muzzle device demonstrated in some of the photos is the Matador Arms’ “Regulator” that they offer separately.
According to Matador Arms’ website, it is “the first of its kind, adjustable port, muzzle brake! Take a look at the most versatile and adaptive brake on the market! The Regulator allows shooters to effectively manage muzzle blast and recoil, without any tools or downtime.”
Here are some of the specifications on the Muzzle Device as well:
- Allows the shooter to manage muzzle blast and recoil reduction to suit their needs
- 60+ engaged settings from complete shutoff (0%) to fully open (100%)
- No tools for adjustment; adjust by clicking the locknut
- Triple chamber, high-efficiency muzzle brake
- When open, vertical ports reduce muzzle climb
- High-speed follow-up shots
- When closed, gas is forced forward, away from the shooter
- 4140 steel, durable nitride coating
- 3.6″ LOA
- 1.08″ OD
- 6.8 oz.
With all three of these options and the Montgo-9, this seems to be a pretty solid and modular combination the makes up *almost* an entire weapon system. But only time will tell; we are certainly For the release of the Montgo-9, Quarter 4 can’t come soon enough.