The new hotness from IWI (Israel Weapon Industries) is the United States version of their popular Carmel rifle. The original Carmel is a weapons system made for combat overseas while the US version is a semi-automatic designed for public use here in the States. The IWI US Carmel is chambered in 5.56 NATO and has a bevy of features that are fantastic for tactical applications but also useful for range use and even hunting.
IWI’s US Carmel rifle is a semiautomatic, short-stroke, gas piston platform chambered in 5.56 NATO with a locking, rotating bolt system. This is a fully ambidextrous platform that is excellent for both right- and left-handed shooters and also those shooting mirror. Thanks to MLOK slots at the 3, 6 and 9 positions and a full-length Picatinny rail it’s easy to add optics and whatever aftermarket accessories the user desires.
The rifle is machined from durable steel and aviation-grade aluminum for superior longevity and resistance to use-related wear. Some parts are made using high-impact modified polymer designed to stand up to the elements and withstand the expected bumps and scrapes of serious use.
Features of the IWI US Carmel rifle include:
- 5.56 NATO chambering.
- Ambidextrous controls for versatility.
- Two-position gas regulator to better suit suppressed use.
- Cold hammer forged, free-floating barrel for greater accuracy.
- Full-length Picatinny rail for the addition of optics.
- M-LOK compatible slots for aftermarket accessories such as lights and lasers.
- Corrosion resistant.
- Compatible with any standard AR-15 magazine.
- Fully adjustable side folding stock to fit the gun to the user.
- Enlarged trigger guard for easy access even while wearing gloves.
- Ships with Magpul PMAG Gen 3 30-round magazine.
- Empty weight of 8 Lbs., 2 Oz.
- 1 in 7 twist rate.
- 16-inch barrel length, making the gun more maneuverable in close quarters.
- Three attachment points for the addition of a sling.
- Designed for tactical applications, range use, and hunting.
MSRP for the IWI US Carmel rifle is set at $1799.00.