Thermal optics are fantastic for night operations such as hunting feral hogs or predators. This type of optic has come a long way since the early days, and companies like ATN continue to make strides in design and innovation. The ATN Thor 5 XD is a great example of the many things a thermal optic can do. It’s packed full of features made to perform and turn your next outing into a success.
ATN states they designed the Gen 5 to build on the proven success rate and popularity of the ThOR line of thermal. The family of optics utilizes cutting-edge technology to deliver superior quality with a smaller profile, meaning it’s easier to maneuver and less likely to bump into objects during use. Gen 5 has it all from more power and memory to the latest sensors and chips so it’s a giant leap forward in thermal technology.
The Gen 5 thermal optics run smoother thanks to a new Quad Core processor with enhanced sensors. These sensors serve to facilitate fantastic image quality whether the optic is being used night or day. Greater clarity in images means easier target identification and is also easier on the hunter’s eyes. After all, precision is exceptionally important for hunters for a clean, ethical kill, and that requires enhanced images. ATN also accomplishes this by using a high-resolution OLED display for improved color, all in the name of identification.
Other features include upgraded lenses, improved 12 μm technology, and enhanced algorithms that deliver sharper resolution. The ThOR XD utilizes further enhances images and overall performance with a 1280×1024, 60Hz 12 micron, ultrasensitive HD thermal sensor while the ThOR 5 320 and ThOR 5 640 models utilize a 320×240 60 fps or 640×480 60 fps sensor.
Features of the ATN Gen 5 XD include:
- Ballistic calculator.
- 1280 x 1024 60 fps μm.
- First 1.3-megapixel thermal sensor.
- Built-in laser rangefinder so hunters can accurately determine distance to targets.
- Video recording to capture the hunt using recoil-activated smart recording.
- Reticle editor, which enables hunters to create custom reticles that can be shared with friends.
- MIL-DOT reticle.
- HD video for greater clarity.
- Dual-stream video.
- IOS and Android compatible to broaden control and use.
- Radar technology.
- Capable of human detection range out to 4,000 yards (model dependent).
- Smooth operating zoom for quick, easy magnification of targets.
- Weather resistant.
- One-shot zero for fast zeroing which comes in handy when using one thermal for multiple rifles.
This generation of thermals is designed to make target identification and accuracy even better than before, and all are backed by ATN’s three-year warranty. ATN is known for producing affordably priced thermal, and with this new generation they’ve taken their optics’ performance to the next level.
MSRP for ATN Gen 5 thermal varies by specific model and features.