Guns are purpose-driven tools, and when it comes to precision rifle shooters, they need specific things in their competition guns. The Ruger Custom Shop Precision Rifle was created specifically for competitors, but it’s also a fantastic platform for any firearms fan. And, of course, it’s chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, so shooters can maximize ballistic performance.
Ruger provides details of the rifle:
Designed in collaboration with Team Ruger Captain Doug Koenig, this new model builds upon the already competitive Ruger Precision Rifle to deliver a factory-built firearm specifically designed for long-range competition.
The new Custom Shop Ruger Precision Rifle features a factory-installed TriggerTech Trigger with Frictionless Release Technology providing an exceptionally crisp break, minimized overtravel and an extremely short and tactile reset. A unique barrier stop is installed on the front of the magazine well to enhance the shooter’s positional support during competition by providing a stable and repeatable shooting position. Internally, the rifle boasts an improved firing pin tip geometry that enhances functionality with a wide variety of primers while allowing for decreased force necessary to manipulate the bolt.
This rifle’s custom, heavy-contour (.850″ at the muzzle), highly accurate free-floated barrel is cold hammer-forged from chrome-moly stainless steel and features 5R rifling for minimum bullet upset. Minimum bore and groove dimensions (air-gauged for process control) and a centralized chamber deliver outstanding accuracy, longevity and ease of cleaning. The barrel features a 1:7.5″ twist rate, 5/8″-24 threaded muzzle and APA Muzzle Brake (.264 bore) to effectively reduce recoil aiding shot observation for quick follow-up.
Performance-related features of the rifle include:
- Improved firing tip geometry enhances functionality with a wide variety of primers while allowing for decreased force necessary to manipulate the bolt.
- Three-lug bolt with 70° throw features dual cocking cams and a smooth-running, full-diameter bolt body. The bolt body is nitrided for corrosion resistance, smooth operation, and durability.
- “Lower” magazine well halves are precision machined from aerospace-grade 7075-T6 aluminum and are Type III hard-coat anodized for maximum durability.
- Magpul MOE K2+ grip provides a more vertical grip angle in a full-sized design. Constructed with rubber over-molding for positive rifle control and provides compatibility with optional Storage Cores for stowing gear.
- The aluminum free-float handguard is black hard-coat anodized aluminum and features Magpul M-LOK slots on all four sides for improved scope clearance for long-range scopes and easy mounting of M-LOK-compatible rails and accessories.
- Custom, heavy-contour (.850″ at the muzzle) stainless steel barrel, features an APA Muzzle Brake (.264 bore) to effectively reduce recoil aiding shot observation for quick follow-up shots.
From its oversized bolt handle to its fully adjustable stock, the Ruger Custom Shop Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor is made to be used and fit to the shooter. Perhaps the most interesting feature is the barrier stop the gun maker placed ahead of the magazine well, but really, this rifle has a lot of excellent attention to detail.
MSRP for the gun is set at $2499.00.