Magpul developed a new replacement stock for the Ruger American Rifle with a short action. Called the Hunter American Stock, the new polymer stock is considered a drop in replacement for the Ruger gun.
One of the features built into the stock is the use of the company’s Bolt Action Magazine Well. This allows the shooter to feed the rifle with a detachable, AICS pattern box magazine. in this case, Magpul includes one of its PMAG 5 7.62 AC magazines that function correctly without an inletting or other work. This magazine will work with .308 Win and other cartridges of a similar size. If you are using cartridges of a smaller or larger size, you will need to buy the appropriate AICS compatible magazine for those rounds.
The Hunter American Stock will be available in four different colors: black, flat dark earth, gray and olive drab green. Additional features include:
- polymer construction with Type III hard coat anodized aluminum bedding block
- adjustable length of pull using spacers; LOP adjustment in increments of 0.5” (from 13.0” to 15.0”)
- includes 0.25″ cheek riser; other heights are available at additional cost
- M-LOK attachment points on the forward end of the stock for mounting accessories
- high strength steel recoil lugs
Oh…the stock added to the rifle is considered 200% American. Magpul explains (though the subtle visual at 0:31 perhaps explains best.)
Magpul set the suggested retail price for the new stock at $299.95. The company anticipates that the stock should ship in “late 2017.” As we’ve seen play out with various companies, that is an estimated shipping time, not a guaranteed one. However, after Magpul had problems delivering an announced product on time a couple of years ago, the company has taken steps to ensure this doesn’t happen again. I’m confident that these will be out in time for Christmas.